Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Minimize Any Application to the System Tray

The other day I wanted to minimize the gnome-terminal to the system tray. Why? Because I thought I should be able to, if I wanted to.
Some apps, such as gaim, the instant messenger already support minimizing to the system tray. So if you click the close button in gaim when you are logged in, the app disappears from the list of windows, and an icon appears in the system tray, which you can then click to bring the main window back to life.
Turns out, with AllTray, you can minimize any app to the system tray. To install, you can use this repository that is linked-to from the alltray homepage. This is probably one of the few cases when the software I wanted wasn’t already in the Ubuntu reporsitories.

No comments:

Post a Comment